July 3, 2017

Go Hug some Huskies!

Hello! This past week was the best week on the mission so far. This week was one for the books. It all started last Monday with a visit to Whittier. I then had the day long travel to my new area in Delta Junction. Since arriving here I've loved meeting the wonderful people and seeing all the breathe taking views here.

One of my last days in Anchorage was spent taking a drive out to this place called Whittier. Whittier is a small fishing community built during World War II. The original reason for building Whittier was to hold prisoners in an inescapable valley covered by ginormous mountains. The only way to get in and out of the valley is to either come in via boat on the water or to drive through a mountain.

Yes. That's right. Drive through a mountain. The tunnel is about two miles long and it has about five safe houses inside in case something were to happen and you couldn't get out. As you can imagine the tunnel is very dark and wet but when you get to the other side the view is to die for. We happened to go when it was raining but it was still incredible.

On Wednesday some missionaries and I took a nice flight to Fairbanks for transfers. It's so cool seeing how all my areas have been so geographical spread apart and how they all differ incredibly. After we landed in Fairbanks I was blessed to see some old friends. Then Elder Havenar and I drove the couple hours to Delta Junction. The drive was beautiful.

Delta Junction is so beautiful and has been quite the treat to me. I have loved every second here. The people are amazing. The ward is a bit small but I love how easy it is to love every single one of them. Everyone comes from such different backgrounds and they welcome you even if you don't believe in the gospel. Just an outstanding ward.

The missionary work here is a bit slow due to it being a very small community. It seems like a lot of the days are going to be spent walking around small taking to people.

The landscape is beautiful! Delta Junction itself is fairly flat with some hills but it's surrounded by mountains. There is a lot of farm land here. I'm not a farmer but I just absolutely love seeing all the farm land off the dirt roads while the sun is setting. Oh wait! It never gets dark here. How crazy is that?! The sun sets around 12 but it stays bright outside 24/7. Believe me I know because I was woken up my first night by our neighbor who mowed his lawn around midnight. Haha.

A few days ago we helped some members on their farm land. We helped them move 27 of their 49 huskies from the front yard to the back. Yes! They own 49 huskies! So cool! I was in heaven. The best part is that all the dogs just love you with kisses and hugs. I was in heaven. I attached pictures. I fetching love Delta.

I hope everyone has a solid July Fourth. Go hug some huskies. I recommend it.

Elder Ogden




No comments:

Post a Comment